Thursday, June 08, 2006

A blog topic perfect for me

What was your favorite childhood book? If you have children, have you passed this book down?

I am such a reader and have a LONG list of childhood faves from every stage. And what better way of sharing my love of reading with my children than reading my favorite books with them.

  1. Charlie and Chocolate Factory - my 7 yr old and I are reading this right now. She has seen both movies and loves to talk about how they missed certain parts.
  2. Chronicles of Narnia - another love of mine. We have several different copies of the entire series as someone is always in middle of one of these.
  3. A Wrinkle in Time - Madeline L'Engle is a must for any fantasy lover...Charles Wallace, Sandy & Denys and Meg....my eldest two daughters have read this with me
  4. Mrs. Frisby and Rats of NIMH - my soon to be fifth grade son, Joshua and I are reading this right now. I read it years ago and still enjoy it.
  5. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry this series of books by Mildred Taylor was shared a couple of years ago in my household.
  6. To Kill A Mockingbird - Who doesn't love the escapades of Scout, Jem and Dill....and Atticus.
My little kids get to share books with me as well
  1. Anything by Else Minarik...Little Bear
  2. Maurice Sendak...Where the Wild Things Are
  3. Dr Suess...Hop on Pop and The Foot Book rates highly here!
  4. Richard Scarry....Gotta Love Goldbug
  5. There's A Monster at the End of this Book - THIS IS A BIG HIT with all my kids. I do my best Grover imitation while reading it....

4 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I had forgotten about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! I also loved the old movie with Gene Wilder (but not really fond of the new movie).Your son might also enjoy My Teacher is an Alien books. I can't remember the author but my students loved those books.

faery-wings said...

Great list of books! I had forgotten about Richar Scarry. They were awesome, and always something new and fun to find.

Glynis said...

Really great list of books! Some of these I had forgotten about...and I'm embarassed to say that I have never read To Kill a Mockingbird. Maybe it's time!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I *love* There is a Monster at the End of this Book!